Recording Date: September 23, 2009 (rebroadcast December 2, 2009)
Duration: 2 hours
Agenda and Speakers
I. Asbestos Claims Processing
• What bankruptcy trusts are operating and what are they paying?
• Timing of claims filing
• Best Practices – efficient methods for claim submissions
• Avoiding mistakes – areas of concern for claimant processing & payment
• W-9 forms, tax issues, 1099’s to clients
• TDP’s and processes within that may benefit defendants
• Accounting for the money still in trust, the value of average mesothelioma claims & future projections on claims vs. assets and funds availability in trust
Larry Haden, President, Claims Resolution Management Corporation
Francis McGovern, Esq., Professor of Law, Duke University School of Law
Nicholas Vari, Esq., K&L Gates
II. The Surge in Bankruptcy Trust Payouts: Can You Make Everyone Happy? Maximizing Recoveries and Creating Fair Credit Allocation
• What adjustments should be made in the tort system to account for the bankruptcy payouts?
• What disclosure obligation should exist regarding pending trust claims, actual payouts, and expected future trust filings?
• Should the tort system encourage or leverage plaintiffs to file claims with the Trusts before the claims leave the system?
• Third party practice and the Defendants’ interaction with the Trusts
Moderator: Joseph O’Hara, Jr., Esq., V.P. & Associate G.C., Owens-Illinois
Hon. Richard Aulisi, Supreme Court Justice, 4th Judicial District of New York
Joseph Belluck, Esq., Belluck & Fox LLP
Robert Gordon, Esq., Weitz & Luxenberg, P.C.
Hon. Ken Kawaichi (Ret.), JAMS
Eliot Jubelirer, Esq., Schiff Hardin LLP
Hon. James McBride, Superior Court of California, San Francisco
*Previously recorded on September 23, 2009 at the National Asbestos Litigation Conference. For more information or to purchase the complete National Asbestos Litigation Conference video or audio recording, or handbook on CD, click here. This rebroadcast does not qualify for CLE credit.